Brooklyn Youth Company was founded in 2009 by Erin McCready. The mission of the program is to empower New York City youth through theatre-making workshops and engagement with the cultural resources of the city. In each session, the BYC students learn to write, act direct, design and produce their own original plays.
BYC is a theatre-making program where students learn how to act, write direct and produce original work in an ensemble. Click on our past productions to see samples of our scripts, photos, videos and other information about each performance.
BYC is committed to engaging students in the cultural resources of NYC, and incorporates cultural experiences into each session, including trips to Broadway plays, museums, NYC landmarks, and other performing arts exhibitions.
The program encourages all enthusiastic students from fifth to eighth grade to audition for a spot in our ensemble. BYC also has an intern program for high school students who have participated in the program previously.
- 800+ audience members have attended BYC performances
- 100% of enthusiastic students accepted at BYC, regardless of their families’ ability to pay tuition
- 85% of Brooklyn Youth Company students receive scholarships to cover tuition.
- 74 individual scholarships awarded in 4 years of operation
- 54 field trips to other NYC cultural destinations
- 14 Broadway and Off-Broadway plays attended by BYC
- 13 community performances produced by BYC
- 11 NYC museum exhibits visited by BYC
- 1 youth theatre program in NYC always writes, directs and produces their own original plays: BROOKLYN YOUTH COMPANY