A young mother experiences a loss so great that the grief lasts for generations. A young man struggles to find his place. A family torn apart by politics. Can this family heal all their wounds, past and present? Buy tickets to BYC’s original play, Dust to Dust, to find out!
Unable to attend Dust to Dust, but still want to support BYC? Make a tax-deductible donation to support BYC and nurture these young artists.
Brooklyn Youth Company was founded in 2009 by Erin McCready. The mission of the program is to empower New York City youth through theatre-making workshops and engagement with the cultural resources of the city. In each session, the BYC students learn to write, act direct, design and produce their own original plays.
Here are some statistics about the program:
- 800+ audience members have attended BYC performances
- 100% of enthusiastic students accepted at BYC, regardless of their families’ ability to pay tuition
- 85% of Brooklyn Youth Company students receive scholarships to cover tuition.
- 74 individual scholarships awarded in 4 years of operation
- 54 field trips to other NYC cultural destinations
- 14 Broadway and Off-Broadway plays attended by BYC
- 13 community performances produced by BYC
- 11 NYC museum exhibits visited by BYC
- 1 youth theatre program in NYC always writes, directs and produces their own original plays, BROOKLYN YOUTH COMPANY
Erin has been a resident of Brooklyn and teaching artist in NYC public schools for over 10 years. She has taught residencies in acting, playwriting, directing, Shakespeare and theatrical design in over 100 schools with Theatre for a New Audience, Roundabout Theatre Company and others. The creation and development of Brooklyn Youth Company to empower young people through theatre-making has been her dream and passion for many years.
To contact Erin or to receive more information about BYC: